Sunday, September 25, 2011

Condicio sine qua non

The above Latin phrase literally translates to - ' Condition without which not ' or more easily 'an essential condition or a requirement'.

Why do i write a blog on such a phrase? I wanted to write about this for a while but now i think is the right time.

During my last ten years of work experience , one thing my managers have thought me is that never consider yourself 'Indispensable' , anyone in any organisation however senior or knowledgeable is always ' dispensable'.

In my early days of my career , i built up reasonably solid expertise in my line of work and as a normal human being i used to work hard and had that feeling that iam one of the most important person and considered myself all-important .

As our psychology dictates, we homosapiens are fond of having control and the knowledge which we build up comes out as making us believe we are indispensable and have absolute control in our line of work.

This habit in me continued for a while and without my knowledge i was being monitored. One fine day during late 2006-07 i was called for a meeting.

During this discussion , this habit was being debated and suddenly like a thunder my boss fielded me one  attitude changing question " What happens if you die tomorrow? What will happen to your department" 

What a game changing question this was to be. I did not realize it until afterwards. I paused and spent a lot of time thinking about it . 

After that particular meeting and following days of pondering myself , i came to the most mature conclusion and decision which has helped me ever since. I said to myself , never ever would i consider myself ' Indispensable'.

It has also made me look at things in a very different angle and also has made me grow because the moment one considers he/she is not indispensable , we understand and learn the art of delegating which in turn fuels growth.

Why do i write this after such a long gap after the actual learning experience? Coincidentally, as i wrote in my last blog, my marriage forced me to take the longest ever holiday in my career and during this three weeks of holiday , world did not stop moving , the institution that i worked for continued to operate as normal,there were issues in my department which typically i would be involved in were solved without any issues and when i was back to work , i amalgamated into the department without any issues.

All in all , the lesson i learnt few years back was re-iterated /re-played back to me with brute force.

I just wanted to share this as its one of the most important lesson to understand and a very effective tip to keep in mind while working for any institution.


1 comment: