Sunday, February 5, 2012

YENGA INGA ANNACHI KADAI YEDHUVUM ILLAYA ?

This one is going to be very short & i expect you will smile at the end of this, i really do.

To start with , Annachi Kadai in my local language (Tamil) means a small shop sometimes it can also mean  tea shop. Normally the owner of the shop is fondly called "Annachi" as a form of respect.

The reason i write this blog is actually funny , having moved out of country one tends to forget what all he/she misses . Top of the list comes that one misses is family , friends, food etc . Having said that there are other subtleties one tends to miss during certain times or occasion/s.

This post is just another reminder of one such thing.

The occasion for me was last Thursday evening.

These days thursday evenings are packed , its a day which is extremely long for me . Normally Thursdays tend to be busier as its closing in on the much anticipated day of the week i.e. Friday . With so many people want to get everything done and closed out by Thursday so Friday becomes less hectic , means Thursday's are always hectic , its not different for me and apart from it i have also packed my thursday with linguistic class i.e. my Mandarin class in evening, which makes it a day that i least look forward to.

Last Thursday was a particularly busy one , lots of meetings and massive amount of work to do. Compounded by the fact that there were other issues in office which took up considerable effort . There was a nagging issue which was causing lot of stress , hey ho it comes with part of my job . Can't complain much but the day was busy and i was very tired.

Just as my work day was coming to close , it dawned to me that its not over yet and i had to get to my class.

I dutifully packed my things, just had a quick face wash and left to take public transport to my class. While i was walking across the road to get to my class , i just realized that i completely forgot to do my homework to be discussed right at the beginning of the class.

I was tired and this homework thing got me even more irritated . As you can imagine  i signed upto the class to ensure that i gain maximum advantage of the time i spend and also ensure that i gain maximum advantage . Naturally feeling dejected , i was angry on myself.

For reasons unknown when one is tired & angry, hunger isn't far enough . I was hungry by now. The bitter cold was not helping either . I wanted to have something quick to eat . I walked in search of a shop where i could eat something sitting comfortably knowing that in this country prices vary if you are to "Eat In" or "Eat Out" . I just couldn't find anything. All i could see were up market coffee shops or pubs . I felt irritated , finally went into a shop and bought a bottle of water and started walking to class .

While i was walking to my class, i replayed the situation and thought what if this same situation i.e." someone hungry and wanted to have quick bite" were to happen back in my hometown . Suddenly it dawned to me that the outcome would have been drastically different . How & Why ?

The answer is very simple " Annachi Kadai aka Tea Stall aka Chai Shop in another avatar called Bakery "  for every 100 or so meters i would have found them and where i could have savored on local delicacies such as -

" Onion Bajji or Vazahakai Bajji or Masala Vada ... oh big daddy Samosa  for that matter puffs or something along with a hot or cold drink not only that i could have actually savored all of these sitting comfortably " 

The above list of delicacies isn't exhaustive but just a sample .... the list is just endless.

As i replayed the situation in my mind , lots of emotions flowed i my mind . I just smiled and said to myself sometimes we do not consider such subtle situations when we decide to work overseas .

On that high note , its time to say good bye. Hope you enjoyed this post.

Have a cracking week ahead!



2 comments:

  1. By the way, on my way back from London, I had Samosas in the lounge. Interestingly, onion bhajji was also available!

    So these things are not very far away from you after all...;-)

    Cheers!
    Suresh

    ReplyDelete