Saturday, May 14, 2011

Why is a Sales Personnel Required in a shop if the products are good?

Is that an obvious question and is there an obvious answer?

I found out the answer today.

I had been wanting to buy pair of formal trousers for a long time and time was right this afternoon for me to go shopping.

I visited a very plush mall with shops of all major brands. I have been to this mall numerous times.

I first visited a shop called Hacketts of London, a very famous name in the clothing industry. To my surprise, the salesman just said a ' Hi' to me and left me to wander in the shop. Unimpressed i just left the shop in about five minutes.

Actually i did not even know what colour trousers i wanted and what pattern i was looking for.

Just as i was wandering the mall, i spotted another shop, which i had seen earlier but had never visited before. Another modern shop with various types of clothing specifically formal wears , well lit and had a good ambience.

Just as i walked in and started looking at the clothes, one well mannered salesman came-up to me and asked me ' Sir what are you looking for ?" , as a customer this was a first positive for me.

I just said to him that i was looking for trousers, the salesman took me up to the suit section and showed me different colours of suits and trousers, explained that i can buy suits and trousers or buy them individually. As a customer , i felt i was pushed a bit but i was given choices, another big win.

The salesman , then won it in the next statement. " Sir, i will leave you to choose what you need, if you need any assistance, am by the side, please give me a shout'. As a customer, in my eyes the salesman was giving me privacy but also re-assuring me that if i had any questions he was just round the corner to assist me.

Once i chose what i needed, i looked-up to the salesman and asked him how the alterations work. The salesman explained me that once i try the fitting he would take care of the rest.

I was very pleased and instead of trying one, i tried two of them. The salesman was assisting even in finding the necessary fitting accessories. You might wonder what fitting accessories? well i needed a formal shoe to wear and check what height fitting i need. The salesman got me a spanking brand new shoe for me to wear to ensure that i was happy and that i how i would wear trousers normally.

Once everything was done, i paid the bill and left as a happy customer.

Thinking about it i thought the salesman won the day. He converted a potential customer into a customer, he converted a potential buyer into an actual buyer.

Answer to my question is , Sales Personnel are required in the shop to convert potential customers into actual customers and also enable to make the brand stand-out in the customers mind , this is where brand loyalty comes.

Incidentally , brand loyalty would be my next blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment