Saturday, March 6, 2010

What an Difference in Experience

After ages i wittnessed what has been said for long , govt run corporations need some basic customer service training if they are to compete with the private sector.

Firstly my modem had crashed and the same was given to service a week ago . After one week of hassle , i went today to find out what the status of it was . The officer in charge just took the modem and said that it was not ready, the time was already 1.15 p.m so naturally his hunger took the better of him. I left the place, fifteen minutes later my mom calls me and says that modem is ready and we can collect them . I was baffled. Here is the same man telling me that it was not ready and in fifteen minutes he calls my home and says all is well !

Same afternoon, i went to a private shop to buy a mobile phone. The time was 2.45 p.m. I went up to the service person and enquired about various models and also about the Blackberry service. He patiently explained and said that with my current mobile connection i would not be able to use the blackberry and hence i would need to switch to another connection if i were to buy a blackberry. I asked him how long it would take. He made a swift phone call and said everything can can be done in less than four hours.

After some hassle, i finally let go of that guy for lunch and i promised that i would be back in 30 minutes to buy the phone and change the connection. Promptly within 29 minutes i get a call stating that the phone service man has come from lunch and the phone connection dealer has come to collect necessary information to switch over my phone connection. I settled for a new black berry. All done in a matter of less than 15 minutes. Promptly after 3 hours , my new connection was activated.I only had to speak to the phone service provider only once in the whole process.

World of difference , huge difference in customer experience. Here is a govt. run organization rendering a service which can only be said to be sloppy and that too in a country which aspires to be a information power house, while i am treated like a king in a similar services company but only difference being its a privately run company.

If govt run companies are to compete and if we are to be world class , the mind set of the people have to change and top quality service should be the motto . I do know that these govt. run organizations cater to various kinds of people but service is a service whether it be rendered by a private party or a govt. run organization.

What do you say?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I had a very different and pleasant experience at BSNL in Chennai, when I wanted to subscribe to a Broadband connection. Actually they have improved a lot and are very good.

    It is not clear from your post as to what exactly was the service deficiency.

    But the fact of course remains, that, public or private, if the customer is not treated as the king, the customer has many other options. Competition is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i also had a great experience when i ordered for a new connection.I could not believe that i had the connection set-up on Sunday but later i learnt that the connection set-up is done by a third party. The service in all was pathetic, i see staff sleeping, not even asking why i had come etc. The service has to be much more decent.

    ReplyDelete